Laurier House commemorates two of Canada's most notable prime ministers, Sir Wilfrid Laurier and the Rt. Hon. William Lyon Mackenzie King. For over fifty years, from 1897 to 1948, the house occupied a central position in the political life of Canada, as the place of residence of Laurier and, after his death, of Mackenzie King. King bequeathed the house to the "Government and people of Canada" in the belief that future generations would be interested in the place where they lived, where they entertained dignitaries and politicians, and where they often conducted the business of the country.