Fort George National Historic Site of Canada
Navy Hall © Parks Canada / Christina Chubb
In 1765, British naval craftsmen from Fort Niagara erected a barracks on the opposite side of the Niagara River. Over the years, several buildings, known collectively as Navy Hall, evolved into a key military supply facility for British forts on the upper Great Lakes.
During the American Revolution, the Provincial Marine wintered at Navy Hall and, in 1792; Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe converted one of the buildings into his residence. The Lieutenant-Governor's home in the first capital of the Province of Upper Canada, later served as a dining hall for the officers at Fort George.
Navy Hall was destroyed by American forces during the War of 1812. After the war, the British rebuilt some of the buildings, of which one still survives today.
Today the landscaped grounds of Navy Hall encourage wayfarers to linger. The site of the historic King's Wharf provides a quiet place for relaxing and enjoying the view of Fort Niagara and the river where many of the events of the history of Niagara began.
The building is not open to the public but is available for rental for special events.
Navy Hall Rental:
Navy Hall is available for rental and makes the perfect location for your wedding, special event, or meeting. The hall is located on the scenic Niagara River and seats 80 comfortably for dinner. Tents may also be erected on the grounds provided location and size are discussed prior to set up.
Rental fees include the use of the building, parking lot and grounds. The dock is leased to a commercial steamboat operation and is not part of the Navy Hall rental agreement.
There are 15 rectangular tables (six feet long) and 100 chairs available for use. Groups are responsible for set-up and take down of furnishings.
Lessee must provide own caterer and liquor license.
Navy Hall Address is 305 Ricardo St., Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, LOS 1JO. Please call ahead if you wish to view Navy Hall prior to making a booking.