Common menu bar links

Natural Wonders & Cultural Treasures

Fort George

Fort George National Historic Site
© Parks Canada

To protect their interests in Upper Canada, the British set work immediately to construct a fort across the Niagara River. Control of the river supply route was essential to the survival of the forts west of the Niagara region. Learn more

Navy Hall

Navy Hall National Historic Site
© Parks Canada

In 1765, British naval craftsmen from Fort Niagara erected a barracks on the opposite side of the Niagara River. Over the years, several buildings, known collectively as Navy Hall, evolved into a key military supply facility for British forts on the upper Great Lakes. Learn more

Fort Mississauga

Fort Mississauga National Historic Site
© Parks Canada

Completed after the War of 1812, the fort and its central tower were located at a strategic position at the mouth of the Niagara River to protect the British/Canadian side of the Niagara frontier and to serve as a counterpoise to Fort Niagara. Learn more

Queenston Heights and Brocks Monument

Queenston Heights National Historic Site
© Parks Canada

Before dawn on October 13, 1812, a daring American army crossed the Niagara River to attack the British forces stationed at the village of Queenston. Learn more

Butlers Barracks

Butlers Barracks National Historic Site
© Parks Canada

Following the War of 1812, work began on a new range of barracks and storehouses on the south-western edge of the military lands, or Commons, out of reach of the American guns. By 1854, the site was known as Butler's Barracks, named in honour of John Butler and his Butler's Rangers. Learn more

Navy Island

Navy Island is on 128.2 hectares situated in the upper Niagara River and has a rich undisturbed deposit of prehistoric archaeological material. This is where the first British decked vessels to sail the upper Great Lakes were built. These vessels were essential to maintaining the supply lines westward during Pontiac's uprising (1763-64). It was briefly occupied in 1837 by Canadian rebels led by William Lyon Mackenzie, but they were forced to abandon it in January of 1838. Learn more