Common menu bar links

Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site of Canada

Motor Country Club Historic Photo Album

The Automobile comes to the Stone Fort: the Motor Country Club at Lower Fort Garry, 1913 – 1962

In 1913 the Winnipeg Automobile Club, an avant-garde group of motoring enthusiasts, leased Lower Fort Garry from the Hudson’s Bay Company and established the Motor Country Club. For nearly 50 years Lower Fort Garry served as an exclusive country club and golf course. Enjoy this photo album of Lower Fort Garry as it looked in the days of the Motor Country Club.

Garden Party for the British Association, 1909 This beautiful photograph of a garden party at Lower Fort Garry illustrates how the fort had begun to take on some of the airs of a country club in 1909.
© Hudson's Bay Company Archives, Archives of Manitoba / HBCA 1987/363-L-24/11