Fort Langley National Historic Site of Canada

Fort Langley National Historic Site Orientation Map

Present-day map of Fort Langley NHS
Present-day map of Fort Langley NHS
© Parks Canada / 2004
  1. Visitor Centre & Parking Lot
  2. Statue of James Douglas
  3. Palisade wall
    The original palisade, removed in the mid 1860s, extended about 20 metres further north, close to the existing railway line. Built into the north wall was the trade shop, where most of the trade with Aboriginal peoples occurred.
  4. Bateau
    This “bateau” is similar to the boats that took supplies to the interior posts and brought furs from the interior to Fort Langley.
  5. Cooperage
    Barrels were built in the cooperage to store and ship salmon, cranberries, farm produce and other goods. The original building, located slightly further north, was removed by the late 1860s.
  6. Blacksmith Shop
    Blacksmiths forged farm tools, building hardware and iron trade goods both for the fort and for other trading posts.
  7. Bastions
    Bastions were used as lookout stations and temporary housing. Fort Langley had at least three bastions, two of which overlooked the main approach to the fort - the river.
  8. Storehouse
    The storehouse, built in the 1840s and renovated in the 1930s, is the only original building left on site. Used as a warehouse for most of the Hudson's Bay Company time period, it has also served as a cooperage, a dwelling, and a barn.
  9. Fur Press
    Furs were compressed by a simple machine before being shipped to London.
  10. Theatre
    See a short audio-visual introduction to Fort Langley.
  11. Exhibits Building
    Fort Langley was part of a worldwide network of Hudson's Bay Company posts. Learn about this story of world trade as you explore the interactive exhibits.
  12. Depot
    Until about 1872, goods were packed here for shipment to the interior. Upstairs, a sales shop supplied Company workers and, as of 1858, gold miners on route to the Fraser River gold fields. The building is now used for administration and public washrooms.
  13. Big House
    British Columbia was proclaimed a colony at a ceremony in the Big House on November 19, 1858. The present building was reconstructed for the centennial of this event. The original building served as the fort's office and residence of the chief trader, the clerk, and their families.
  14. Kitchen
  15. Garden
    There was a small kitchen garden at this end of the fort. A dairy farm was located on the lowlands just east of the fort, and hundreds of acres were farmed at Langley Prairie, about 6 km south of the fort.
  16. Bake oven
  17. Gold panning
    In 1858, many prospectors stopped at Fort Langley to buy supplies before continuing up the Fraser River to look for gold. Try your hand at finding “gold” with a pan.
  18. Storage / temporary residence
    This large building was used for storage and sometimes accommodated gentlemen traveling with the fur brigades from the interior posts.
  19. Servants' Quarters
    The reconstructed building is on the site of one of several buildings that housed the fort's workers and their families. The outlines show historic locations of other Servants' Quarters. By the 1850s, some workers were living outside the walls.
  20. Sawpit
  21. The Fraser River
    The Fraser River had important economic, social, and spiritual meanings for Aboriginal peoples and it became a key link in the network of Hudson's Bay Company posts. There was a dock on the south bank of the river close to the fort; several sheds nearby were used for curing salmon. The island opposite the fort was once lined with the longhouses and canoes of the Kwantlen people, who were major trading partners at Fort Langley and intermediaries in the trade with other Aboriginal groups. The Kwantlen people still live there today.