History In The Making
Weddings at the Bar U Ranch © Parks Canada / Chupp Photography
The Bar U Ranch National Historic Site, with its original buildings and beautiful foothills landscape, offers a stunning location for wedding ceremonies.
Plan Your Special Day:
Imagine you and your guests riding on a Percheron horse-drawn wagon as you head to that special setting - on the bridge over Pekisko Creek, at one of the heritage buildings or in a cottonwood tree-shaded clearing.
You exchange your vows and the ceremony is complete! Now is the time for some wedding pictures set against a variety of beautifully textured backdrops and scenes. While these are being taken, your guests can tour the ranch, visit with our interpreters or discover a quiet place of their own.
Horse-drawn wagons are at hand to return your guests to the Visitor Centre for the reception, to share good food carefully prepared for you. It sets the stage for an evening of celebration nestled below the majestic Rocky Mountains of southern Alberta.
- All decorations must be approved two weeks prior to reserved date.
- Visitor Centre receptions to begin after operating hours.
- Ceremonies may take place in approved historic site locations during hours of operation (9am to 5pm).
- All guests must be off site by 5pm.
- Special rate available for wedding guests to tour historic site prior to and after ceremony, up to 5pm.
- Outdoor ceremonies are weather dependent.
- Bar U Ranch NHS requests permission for use of your photographs for possible future promotions.
Facilities & Fees
|Visitor Centre rental
- Does not include access to kitchen facilities
- Indoor seating capacity - 100 max
- Must use caterer contracted to operate at Bar U Ranch NHS (menus available)
|Visitor Centre rental
||Damage deposit (refundable)
- Outdoor ceremony only
- Donation to Friends of the Bar U Historic Ranch Association
- Photographer's fee included
||3 hours, includes wedding photos
||Single horse-drawn cart to escort bride to ceremony
||Special rate for guests to tour site until 5pm, children 5 and under free
||For use of site, up to 20 people
- Per tent
- Includes set-up and take-down
- 2 - 20' x 20' walled blue and white tents available
|Sound system rental
- Outdoor and indoor systems available
- Podium available (personal mp3 player can be used)
- Projector and screen (portable)
||Must be supplied by booking party for outdoor ceremony. Chairs are available for use indoors at the Visitor Centre, included with Visitor Centre rental
||All decorations either outdoors or indoors must be pre-approved
- Onsite caterer.
- Dining room seated capacity: 100 people.
- Spacious parking lot.
Please contact us for information on dinner buffet choices.
Chefs from the Bar U
- Group wagon – capacity max. 18, provides transportation for wedding guests to ceremony and back to Visitor Centre.
- Wedding carriage – capacity 4, including driver and coachman, elaborate designed carriage.
- Wedding cart – capacity 2, including driver, smart and small carriage.