Sustainable Development Strategy 2007 - 2009
Scan of Issues
Parks Canada faces numerous, but not impossible challenges in achieving its planned results, and thereby contributing to overall federal sustainable development goals.
- Parks Canada cannot act unilaterally to establish heritage places.
- Native biodiversity and habitat are under considerable stress and have suffered progressive loss.
- In the past 30 years, Canada has lost more than 20 % of its pre-1920 heritage buildings to demolition.
- The Agency must build strong and trusting relationships with Aboriginal communities
- The Agency must connect with, engage and respond to the needs and interests of young people, as well as urban dwellers and new immigrants.
- The Agency must understand the changing leisure patterns of Canadians and visitors from abroad, and provide meaningful visitor experiences in innovative and interactive ways.
- The Agency must maintain and restore ecological and commemorative integrity while offering meaningful visitor experiences, education programs and activities that cultivate understanding.