Sharing Responsibility for Safety
This page has been archived.
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Parks Canada cooperates with various other organizations, including other federal government departments, provincial/territorial/municipal governments, non-governmental agencies, tourism operators, concessionaires, service providers, and volunteer organizations in the following areas:
- sharing public safety information and resources
- developing and implementing programs
- communicating with the public regarding hazards and risks
- training staff
- assisting in search and rescue situations in and around heritage areas
- providing equipment and expertise
- controlling hazards
- producing prevention materials
Federal Partners in the National Search and Rescue Program
Parks Canada is one of six federal departments, each with search and rescue responsibilities, which make up the cooperative, multi-jurisdictional National Search and Rescue Program. These departments are:
- National Defence
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (Canadian Coast Guard)
- Transport Canada
- Canadian Heritage (Parks Canada)
- Environment Canada (Atmospheric Environment Service)
- Solicitor General of Canada (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
Beyond Federal Partners...
Other organizations with which Parks Canada has completed projects and shared information, technology, and research include:
- various provincial and territorial agencies
- SAR volunteer groups
- the Canadian Red Cross
- the Lifesaving Society
- the Canadian Avalanche Association
- the SMARTRISK Foundation
- the Rediscovery International Foundation
Parks Canada will continue to work with its partners to provide an effective and efficient public safety program.