Common menu bar links

Research Permitting Overview for Parks Canada

Checklist of Research Permits

Aulavik National Park, Ivvavik National Park, Tuktut Nogait National Park and Pingo Canadian Landmark

  1. If you are conducting research and/or collection activities entirely within a Heritage Area you will require:
    • Parks Canada Research/ Collecting Permit
    • Environmental Impact Screening Committee Approval
    • Environmental assessment through CEAA, YESAA or Park Canada’s policy (if required)
    • Documentation to show that any consultative requirements with the appropriate community organization(s) have been fulfilled
  2. If your research and/or collection extends beyond the Heritage Area boundaries, you may need:
    • Wildlife Research Permit (for research on wildlife in the NWT)
    • Yukon Scientists and Explorers License (for research in the Yukon)
    • Approval for archaeological research from the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation and the affected community corporation
    • Archaeologists Permit (issued by the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre (PWNHC) for archaeological work in the NWT)
    • Yukon Archaeological Sites Regulation Permit
    • Scientific Research License (issued by the Aurora Research Institute for research in the NWT)
    • Inuvialuit Land Administration Land Use License. This permit is needed if you are conducting research on private lands within the Inuvialuit Settlement Region. Their website is
    • A permit from the Canadian Wildlife Service if your research involves a species listed in the Species at Risk Act (SARA) or would affect a species listed in SARA.
    • Documentation to show that the appropriate community organization(s) have been contacted and any consultative requirements with the appropriate government bodies and/or community organizations have been fulfilled.

  3. If your research involves migratory birds or takes place in a migratory bird sanctuary, you must also have:
    • Migratory Birds Scientific Permit (issued by the Canadian Wildlife Service)