Common menu bar links

Research Permitting Overview for Parks Canada

Territorial Research Permitting

Aulavik National Park, Ivvavik National Park, Tuktut Nogait National Park and Pingo Canadian Landmark

Northwest Territories

An overview of the NWT research permitting process can be obtained at the Aurora Research Institute (ARI) website. A PDF version of their guide Doing Research in the Western Northwest Territories: a guide for researchers is available for download.

Yukon Territory

An overview of the Yukon Scientific Research Licensing process is available at the>Heritage Branch, Department of Tourism and Culture, Government of Yukon website .

To obtain an overview of the Yukon North Slope’s permitting process, contact the Wildlife Management Advisory Council (North Slope) at for a copy of their Draft Yukon North Slope Research Guide or visit their website at

All of these guides are excellent resource documents and cover topics such as: which permits, licences and review processes apply, where to find funding, how to involve communities in research and monitoring, how to consult with the communities, how to access traditional and local knowledge, how to communicate information to the communities, and ethical conduct.