Common menu bar links

The Franklin Expedition

Artifacts from the April Dives

Click the images below to learn more about these artifacts:

Illuminator

Glass (pre-1845)

Originally installed in the upper deck of HMS Erebus, this rectangular glass prism had one important purpose: to distribute much-needed daylight to the ship’s lower deck. It was set flush to the decking with the flat side up, making it easy for sailors to walk over it and ensuring that as much light as possible was captured and directed below deck.



Rectangular glass prism Deck prism from HMS Erebus
© Parks Canada