Paddle a Voyageur Canoe to a bustling colony of grey seals
Kouchibouguac’s Voyageur Canoe Experience merges an active wildlife adventure with an intriguing cultural exploration. With an experienced guide at the helm, you’ll paddle calm estuarine waters in a replica Voyageur Canoe.
Ospreys, bald eagles and terns circle overhead as your interpreter illuminates the region’s Mi’kmaq and Acadian heritage, weaving historical facts and traditional folklore. You and your fellow paddlers are now connected to this culture, plying the same waters as First Nations and early settlers. Ahead, a 25-kilometre-long stretch of golden sand dunes punctuates the inshore region.
As you approach the sandbanks, a strange sound permeates the air—it is a bustling, barking colony of grey seals, perhaps numbering in the hundreds. These impressive marine mammals—as large as 450 kilograms and, at times, more than two metres long—bob, bask and frolic a short distance from your canoe. Your photographs are incredible; your memories even better.
- Program offered from mid-June to mid-September
- There is an additional fee for this program.
- For reservations, go to the Visitor Reception Centre or call (506) 876-2443.
- Light snack included.
- For 4 to 9 passengers (6 years and up).
- Meeting place is at St-Louis Cape Wharf, 30 minutes prior to departure.
- In case of inclement weather, route may be altered or outing cancelled. Please verify our cancellation policy.