Lock 'n Paddle
The 2018 Lock and Paddle event will be held in late June. More information coming soon!
Lock 'n' Paddle 2017 at the Peterborough Lift Lock
Can we fill both tubs of the Peterborough Lift Lock at this year’s “Lock’n Paddle” event in celebration of National Canoe Day? That is what Parks Canada, The Canadian Canoe Museum, and the Land Canadian Adventures will attempt to answer. Grab your paddles and venture to the Peterborough Lift Lock Historic Site of Canada!
Our goal is to have as many paddlers as possible at this event, so it’s important to know your best options to get your canoe or kayak into the water and on the way to the Peterborough Lift Lock. It is recommended that avid paddlers plan to paddle to the Peterborough Lift Lock from one of the first four options in order to allow those with less experience or accessibility concerns the ability to enter the waterway at the Visitor Centre.
NOTE: When paddling to Lock 20 allow an extra 45-60 minutes to transfer and paddle to the Peterborough Lift Lock.
- Beavermead Campground - 2011 Ashburnham Drive, Peterborough - 5 Minute Paddle to Lock 20
- Rogers Cove - 131 Maria Street, Peterborough - 5 Minute Paddle to Lock 20
- Millennium Park - 130 King Street, Peterborough – 20 Minute Paddle to Lock 20
- Del Crary Park - 100 George Street, Peterborough - 35 Minute Paddle to Lock 20
- Warsaw Swing Bridge – Parkhill Road E and Canal Road, Peterborough – 20 Minute Paddle to Peterborough Lift Lock.
- McFarlane Bridge – McFarlane Street and Ashburnham Drive, Peterborough – 10 Minute Paddle to Peterborough Lift Lock.
- Trent-Severn Waterway Headquarters - 2155 Ashburnham Drive, Peterborough – Launch at the top, west side of Lock 20 – Ashburnham
- Peterborough Lift Lock Visitor Centre - 353 Hunter Street East, Peterborough
Have extra space in your canoe? Looking to take part in the event but need a canoe? Meet Paddle Pool! The Paddle Pool Facebook Group will be used to help paddlers connect and to achieve our ultimate goal of filling the Peterborough Lift Lock with as many paddlers as possible. Post early and start connecting paddlers!
Gear & Rental Options
Don’t have your own boat or gear but still want to make a splash? Check out these local rental options:
- Pedal and Paddle - Millennium Park at the Silver Bean, 100 King Street and Water Street, Peterborough
- Wild Rock Outfitters - 169 Charlotte Street, Peterborough
- Adventure Outfitters - 1828 8th Line, Lakefield
- Beavermead Campground - 2011 Ashburnham Drive, Peterborough
- Cottage Toys - 180 Charlotte Street, Peterborough or 96 Clementi Street, Lakefield
If you're looking for an all-inclusive guided paddling experience for Lock 'n Paddle, join the Land Canadian Adventures' Canoe Critical Mass!
- Personal Floatation Device worn by each paddler.
- Sound signalling device, buoyant heaving line, and bailer for each boat.
- Due to safety concerns stand up paddle boards will not be permitted.
- By participating in this event you agree to be photographed and/or filmed. We want to capture and share this event with the world and we hope you do too!
A Few Guidelines
Staff want to make sure we get an accurate number of boats per tub. This means that each paddlecraft needs to be counted as they enter the Peterborough Lift Lock. We ask that you please wait patiently and paddle into the lock one at a time. There will be staff there to help instruct you once we open the gates, but all paddlers should line up and enter in single file.
Secondly, there will be 3 safety boats per tub. This is to ensure the safety of all participants and it is extremely important that they enter the tub when they need to. This means that every few lines of boats, the staff will instruct a safety boat to cut the line and enter the tub. We ask for your understanding during this process, it is mandatory that the safety boats are staggered throughout each tub.
Additionally, this event will run on a first-come, first-served basis. We suggest that you arrive early to help ensure your spot in the tub. We will make every effort to include every boat and everyone in the event, but once the tubs are full, we will have no other choice but to close the gates.
Finally, don’t forget your sunscreen, a hat, your water bottle, and a smile!