Sharing Responsibility for Safety
Understanding the Risks...
Visitors may be unaware of the specific hazards related to park landscapes and activities. Park staff try to prevent incidents and encourage self-reliance through policy implementation and visitor services.
Preventing incidents through policy implementation involves:
- providing and updating a public safety policy framework and planning mechanism;
- assessing risks, and implementing risk management measures;
- developing and regularly updating public safety plans;
- incorporating visitor safety into program planning, communications, and delivery.
Services provided by Parks Canada to encourage self-reliance and risk awareness include:
- Public Service Announcements and other awareness campaigns which encourage visitors to plan their trip before they leave home;
- public safety messages on the Parks Canada website;
- information and advice on trip planning, hazards and risks, either directly (through Visitor Information Centres) or through our partners;
- materials such as brochures, posters, and videos related to visitor safety, hazards, risk, and self-reliance;
- environmental advisories, such as avalanche forecasts;
- highway avalanche control;
- hazard warning signs, fencing, and barriers;
- safety registration services.