Port Talbot National Historic Site of Canada
Photo of plaque and cairn
© St. Peter's Cathedral Basilica Archives, London, ON 2006
Fingal Line (former Talbot Road), Iona, Ontario
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
1812 to 1812
1803 to 1803
Research Report Number:
Existing plaque: Fingal Line (former Talbot Road), Iona, Ontario
Near the cliff was the log-hut residence for almost 50 years of the Honourable Colonel Thomas Talbot, who on 21st May, 1803, began there the Talbot settlement.
From here in 1809-1811, Mahlon Burwell surveyed and laid out Talbot Road east and west, for years the longest and best road in the Province.
In the War of 1812, Talbot was Colonel in command of the London district.
On 10th August, 1812, Brock's expedition encamped on the Beach on its way to the capture of Detroit and Hull's army.
Enemy forces repeatedly raided the settlement and about 20th September, 1814, burnt Talbot's mills and Burwell's buildings at Port Talbot.