Île-à-la-Crosse National Historic Site of Canada
Image not available.
(© Parks Canada, 2011.)
corner of La Jeunesse Ave. and Peter Cres., Île-à-la-Crosse, Saskatchewan
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
Existing plaque: Mounted on monument near corner of La Jeunesse Ave. and Peter Cres. Île-à-la-Crosse, Saskatchewan
Indians and Europeans have lived together here for over two centuries. Long before the arrival of the white man, the Indians had been congregating here each summer to fish, feat, hold councils and play lacrosse, whence the name of the lake. The first trading post, established by Louis Primeau in 1775, became, after 1790, an important provision and storage depot for the North West Company, as well as a key staging point on the route to the rich Athabasca district. The Hudson's Bay Company established its first post here in 1799.