Fort Témiscamingue National Historic Site of Canada
(© Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2009.)
824 Old Fort Road, Ville-Marie, Quebec
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
1685 to 1685
Event, Person, Organization:
North West Company
Research Report Number:
1966-057, 1967-002; 1963-014
Existing plaque: 840 Old Fort Road, Ville-Marie, Quebec
The first fort on this lake was bullt by the government of New France about 1685 to compete with the English on Hudson Bay. Closed in the 1690s Fort Temiscamingue was re-established in 1720 and leased to merchants until the fall of New France. After the Conquest various free traders settled on the lake, but the North West Company had a virtual monopoly by the 1790s, thanks to the astute management of Aeneas Cameron. Control of the fort remained with the Cameron family for many years after the union of the Hudson's Bay and North West Companies in 1821.
The first fort on this lake was bullt by the government of New France about 1685 to compete with the English on Hudson Bay.