Fort Crevier National Historic Site of Canada
original HSMBC plaque
(© Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 1924.)
226, de L’île Road, Pierreville, Quebec
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
1687 to 1687
Existing plaque: 226 Island Road / Main Street, Notre-Dame-de-Pierreville, Quebec
A fort was built near here in 1687 for the defence of the French inhabitants of the area against Iroquois attacks which had been encouraged by the English. Originally named Fort Saint-François, it came to be known by the name of its builder, Jean Crevier in whose seigneurie, Saint-François-du-Lac, this wooden fort stood. Skirmishes between the Iroquois and French were fought near here on many occasions between 1689 and 1693. With the signing of peace treaties with the English in 1697, and with the Iroquois in 1700 and 1701, the French allowed the fort to fall into ruins.Original Plaque: Main Road, Notre-Dame-de-Pierreville, Quebec
Built 1687, Battles of 1689-1693, when two officers, several soldiers, seven habitants were killed; the seigneur Jean Crevier was captured and died from wounds. The fort was still standing in 1714.
Fort Crevier was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1920 because: it was constructed in 1687 to protect the French from attacks by the Iroquois, and was the scene of skirmishes between the French and the Iroquois between 1689 and 1693.