Fort Sainte-Thérèse National Historic Site of Canada
Original HSMBC plaque
(© Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada)
Fryer Island, Chambly Canal National Historic Site of Canada, Carignan, Quebec
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
1665 to 1665
Fort Ste. Thérèse
Existing plaque: Sainte-Thérèse Boulevard, Île Sainte-Marie, Quebec
Built in 1665, on the point south east beyond the canal, by M. de Salieres. One of the forts constructed on the Richelieu by the Carignan Regiment for defence against the Iroquois, starting point of the expedition of 1666.
In June, 1760, Major Robert Rogers burned the fortified post.
Fort Sainte-Thérèse was designated a national historic site in 1923 because:
— it was built in 1665, during the Iroquois Wars, by M. de Salières of the Cardigans Regiment;
— it was reconstructed in 1747, during the War of the Austrian Succession, and in 1760 during the Seven Years’ War;
— its role in the supply network made it an essential component of Canada’s defence infrastructure during the French colonial period.
Source: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, 1923, June 2013.