Wintering Site National Historic Site of Canada

Port Dover, Ontario
Plaque image © Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2005, (Jim Molnar)
Plaque image
© Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2005, (Jim Molnar)
Plaque image © Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2005, (Jim Molnar)Image of plaque / cairn © Parks Canada Agency / Agence parcs Canada, 2005, (Jim Molnar)
Address : 77 Donjon Boulevard and Somerset Dr., Port Dover, Ontario

Recognition Statute: Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
Designation Date: 1919-10-28
Dates:
  • 1669 to 1670 (Construction)

Event, Person, Organization:
  • François Dollier de Casson  (Person)
  • René Bréhent de Galinée  (Person)
Other Name(s):
  • Wintering Site  (Designation Name)
Research Report Number: 1989-A07, 2008-SDC-CED-045
DFRP Number: 10466 00

Plaque(s)


Existing plaque:  77 Donjon Boulevard and Somerset Dr., Port Dover, Ontario

Here, 1669-1670, wintered Dollier and Galinée with seven other frenchmen, the first Europeans known to have ascended the Great Lakes to Sault Ste. Marie. The earthen mounds are the remains of their hut which was at once residence, chapel and fort.