Successful completion of secondary school or Public Service Commission approved alternatives or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Extensive experience in the full spectrum of building maintenance challenges. Experience element must include two or more of the following components:
- Experience in water and waste-water systems;
- Experience in plumbing;
- Experience in heating repair and maintenance;
- Experience in electrical trouble-shooting;
- Experience performing diverse semi-skilled maintenance, repairing facilities; infrastructure, and utilities;
- Experience identifying mechanical issues and their underlying causes, proposing corrective measures to resolve issues, and successfully implementing required repairs.
- Knowledge of minor servicing and maintenance of a full range of maintenance equipment and machinery;
- Knowledge of procedures for general maintenance of tools, equipment, vehicles, buildings, fences, and structures;
- Knowledge of plumbing, heating, and electrical systems;
- Knowledge of pH and chlorine water testing;
- Knowledge of water pressure and distribution systems;
- Knowledge of waste-water systems;
- Knowledge of safety procedures, guidelines, and policies;
- Knowledge of service contracting processes;
- Knowledge of the Parks Canada mandate, programs, and objectives.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting;
- Ability to physically perform job requirements; which may include climbing ladders, working in confined spaces, and lifting and carrying up to 25 kg repetitively;
- Ability to work effectively in an environment of continuous change;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to make use of computers for asset maintenance purposes;
- Ability to analyze and solve operational problems;
- Ability to order parts and equipment and adapt work activities accordingly.
|Personal Suitability / Leadership Attributes
- Shares Parks Canada’s vision;
- Exercises sound judgment;
- Makes things happen;
- Communicates effectively;
- Takes responsibility;
- Personally connects with people;
- Demonstrates integrity;
- Strives for excellence.
|Conditions of Employment
- Obtain and maintain a reliability security clearance.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 Driver’s License, or equivalent, throughout your employment.
- May be required to undergo and pass pre-placement and periodic medical checks.
- A Parks Canada Agency uniform, as prescribed for the position, must be worn at all times while performing the duties of the position unless otherwise specifically directed by the Superintendent.
- Must be prepared to work weekends, shift work, overtime and statutory holidays as scheduled.
- Must obtain internal certification and perform basic financial paperwork tasks of the Parks Canada Agency.
- Must wear safety equipment as identified by Supervisor.
- Parks Canada prohibits smoking in the workplace.
- Willingness to work in variable and adverse weather conditions.
- Willingness to obtain certification in the operation of equipment, as required.