News Releases and Backgrounders
Dalnavert commemorated as national
WINNIPEG, June 2, 1995 -- Winnipeg North M.P. Dr. Rey Pagtakhan today unveiled, on
behalf of Canadian Heritage Minister Michel Dupuy, a plaque from the Historic Sites and
Monuments Board of Canada commemorating the national architectural importance of Dalnavert,
61 Carlton St., one of Winnipeg's best-known heritage buildings.
Built in 1895 for Sir High John Macdonald, Dalnavert is a fine regional example of the Queen
Anne Revival architectural style, popular from about 1880 to 1914. Its asymmetrical composition
in brick, ornate carving, varied massing and rich interior decoration are typical of this eclectic style.
An expansive verandah, common to the style in Canada and the United States, unites the house
and its setting.
Dalnavert's architect, Charles H. Wheeler, also included such modern conveniences as central
heating, full plumbing and electricity. This luxurious and comfortable home was perfectly suited to
the elegant lifestyle of one of Canada's prominent political families.
Hugh John MacDonald, son of Sir John A. Macdonald, set up a law practice in Winnipeg in
1881. He later served as premier of Manitoba, then as a Conservative MP, and, for many years,
as a magistrate.
In 1969, the Manitoba Historical Society purchased and restored Dalnavert to mark Manitoba's
centennial. Now operated as museum, it is a fine and rare example of the art, architecture and
artifacts of its era.
The Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada advises the Minister of Canadian Heritage
on the commemoration of events, persons and sites of national historic significance.